You are here: HomeNews2019 06 24Article 757746

General News of Monday, 24 June 2019

Source: citinewsroom.com

Bauxite Company workers to re-apply for jobs after violent protests in Awaso

Workers at the Awaso Bauxite Company have been asked to reapply for employment after they were all laid off following last week’s protests that led to the destruction of company property worth millions of cedis.

The decision followed a meeting between Management, the MCE for Bibiani-Ahwiaso-Bekwai, Alfred Amoah and the Regional Security Council (REGSEC).

Workers occupying company residences have also been given three months to vacate.

The Lands and Natural Resources Minister, Kweku Asomah Cheremeh had asked the Bauxite Mining Company in Awaso to halt operations following the violent protest.

Some workers set ablaze some offices of the company as well as the residence of their Human Resource Manager during agitations over working conditions.

The Bibiani Divisional Police Command has since said it is providing protection for management of the Ghana Bauxite Company.

It is also seeking out the instigators of the violence.

“We are still investigating so as to be sure of any arrest that we make. The police were not present when the incident happened, so we now have to rely on eyewitness accounts and materials that people will give us to identify the perpetrators and arrest them. We don’t want to waste time, while the perpetrators walk away so that nothing happens at the end of the day .”

The workers had earlier threatened to walk off the job in March 2019 over the same issues.

Following the troubles, the Ghana Mineworkers Union called on the Ministry of Employment and Labour Relations to step in and address the poor working conditions of contract workers in the mining sector.

The union says the lack of effective legislation to regulate the prevalence of contract workers in the various mining companies has led to the abuse of workers in the industry.