Sports News of Monday, 22 July 2019
The legendary Ghanaian boxer, Azumah Nelson, says it will be premature to write off Isaac Dogboe’s career just because he lost two consecutive fights to Mexico’s Emmanuel Navarrete.
To him, the former World Boxing Organisation (WBO) super bantamweight champion could come back stronger to conquer the world again, having failed to reclaim his title from Navarrete in a rematch last May, having lost to the Mexican in December last year.
The 24-year-old Ghanaian pugilist is yet to announce his comeback into the ring after a 12th round knockout defeat to Navarrete in a rematch fight having initially lost to the Mexican in December, 2018.
Dogboe’s father and trainer, Paul Dogboe, after the second loss to Navarrete announced his decision to quit training his son and called on him to retire from the sport and concentrate on his education.
However, the former three-time world champion in the featherweight and super featherweight divisions has backed Dogboe to work his way back to the top, which he said would prove the champion that he is.
Speaking to the Graphic Sports in an interview, Azumah noted that he was hopeful Dogboe would come back stronger from his two previous defeats to earn the respect he deserves.
“He has what it takes to come back stronger because this is boxing and you can always lose. The most important thing after a loss is to ensure you return in a better position.
“It will be premature to write him off just because he lost two consecutive fights. I believe he can return to the ring as a better boxer by learning from his mistakes,” Azumah said.
Team Dogboe have reportedly moved to California in a bid to revive his career with renowned trainer, Freddy Roach, set to take over upon his return to the ring.