You are here: HomeNews2017 03 24Article 522005

General News of Friday, 24 March 2017


Attacked Ashanti Regional Security Coordinator unhurt – Police

The Police say the Ashanti Regional Security Coordinator attacked by a pro-New Patriotic Party (NPP) group known as Delta Force Friday is “doing well.”

PRO of Ashanti Regional Police Command, ASP Yaw Nketia, said George Adjei has seen physicians and has been discharged and cleared of any harm from the attack.

“What I can add is that the security coordinator came to the regional headquarters to submit his statement. He is doing well,” he told Dzifa Bampoh on Joy FM’s Top Story programme.

More than 200 men affiliated to the governing NPP attacked the Ashanti Regional Security Coordinator in their attempt to drive him out of the office. Information gathered by Joy News indicates the men were followed by a police pick-up with five armed policemen.

They then drove into the Regional Coordinating Council (RCC) in sprinter vehicles and motorbikes, Joy News’ Ashanti Regional Correspondent, Erastus Asare Donkor has said.

The men manhandled and pushed the security coordinator, until the policemen who escorted the attackers rescued him.

At the end of the altercation drops of blood were spilled on the staircase leading to the RCC. There was no arrests.

Delta Force has been outspoken in its opposition of Mr Agyei’s appointment, insisting a party person has to be given the position. It contends it cannot work with Mr Agyei because he has ‘not been part of the struggle’ to deliver victory to the NPP in the 2016 elections.

The group had earlier petitioned the Regional Minister, Simon Osei-Mensah and other senior NPP officials to heed its call but nothing has been done about it. The Friday's attack was aimed at registering their displeasure about Mr Agyei's appointment.

Meanwhile, the police say the blood spilled on the RCC floor was not that of Mr Agyei, but rather one of the attackers who was injured during their "illegal operation."

ASP Yaw Nketia explained they have commenced investigation because they could not apprehend any of the men. Even though some police men were said to have escorted the Delta Force, ASP Nketia suggested that no official sanction had been given for any policeman to provide escort for that demonstration which turned violent.

"We are following the procedure [and] as the day goes by we are hopeful something good will come out of it," he said.