You are here: HomeNews2018 09 05Article 682620

Sports News of Wednesday, 5 September 2018

Source: GHANAsoccernet.com

14 players snub Kenya national team ahead of Ghana AFCON qualifier

Kenya head coach Sébastien Migné has shockingly revealed that fourteen players did not turn up by their third day of training as they prepare to take on Ghana in the African Cup of Nations qualifiers on Saturday.

The Frenchman invited 38 players for the match but by Wednesday morning just 24 players had bothered showing up for training ahead of the crucial match against the giants.

Migne says he will manage with the players he has in camp if the remaining players refuse to turn up for training by Wednesday evening.

“It is a shame that out of the 38 players called up for national team duty only 24 turned up," Migne said.

"I have given them until end of today (Wednesday), and if they don’t show up, they will not be considered for the match.”

“I will only work with the available players for now and my focus is to beat Ghana on Saturday.”

Migne’s charges face a daunting task as they host Group F leaders Ghana who beat Ethiopia 5-0 in the opening group clash.

Kenya currently sits third on the group having suffered a 2-1 defeat against Sierra Leone back in June last year.

Should Kenya win all their home encounter they stand a real chance of qualifying for the 2019 Afcon that is set to be hosted by Cameroon.