Regional News of Sunday, 15 June 2014
Victims of the Weija Dam spillage are divided over whether to relocate or not from the dam catchment area, in their response to an evacuation order by the Greater Accra Regional Minister, Nii Laryea Afotey-Agbo.
While some residents said that they had no other place to go to, others said they were ready to go if the National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO) provided them with the temporary accommodation it had promised.
During a visit to the affected areas last Wednesday, the National Co-ordinator of NADMO, Mr Kofi Portuphy, told the victims that the organisation had prepared temporary accommodation for them.
In random interviews, some residents of the affected communities expressed the hope that the temporary accommodation NADMO had promised would be adequate for all the victims, while others indicated their desire to go back to their hometowns.
Mary Dankyi called for financial assistance to relocate to her hometown in the Eastern Region. Others, who do not want to be named, told the Daily Graphic they were also ready to relocate to their hometowns if they were assisted financially.
A resident, Bernard Kotei, who said he had been living in the area for more than 20 years, appealed to the city authorities to consider finding a lasting solution to the problem rather than asking them to evacuate their communities.
He expressed optimism that the construction of a good drainage system and the redirection of the spilled water from the Weija Dam would help address the perennial problem.
Meanwhile, some of the residents said tankers had been supplying water to their areas, while others had also received relief items such as buckets and mosquito nets from NADMO.
Hundreds of homes in some communities in the Ga South municipality were, last Tuesday, submerged, following the spillage of the Weija Dam by the Ghana Water Company Limited (GWCL).
An estimated 5,000 people at Glefe, Opetekwei, Christ Mission and other communities had been displaced by the resultant floods.