Regional News of Tuesday, 3 June 2014
Some unauthorised structures identified as being waterways and crossroads within the Ho Municipality have been declared unauthorised and pulled down by the regional office of the National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO).
The exercise was carried out by a task force from the NADMO operations department and the assembly in conjunction with the police last Friday. This followed the flooding of some parts of the town after a heavy rainfall last Thursday evening.
About 12 containers, kiosks and a number of unauthorised signboards and billboards were pulled down from areas such as the Ho Regional Hospital, Ahoe roundabout, market, Dome and 60-60.
At the Ahoe roundabout, some of the people resisted the team from carrying out the assignment but the situation was brought under control by police officers.
The Volta Regional co-ordinator, Mr Simon Miles Bakar, told the Daily Graphic that some people had been erecting structures haphazardly without taking into consideration the safety of pedestrians and motorists.
That, he noted, had attracted the attention of NADMO due to the danger those structures posed.
He disclosed that about four months ago, the Municipal NADMO Coordinator, Mr Christian Attoh, and the Municipal Chief Executive, Mrs Fafa Adinyira, went round some of the identified areas where structures were on waterways and ordered owners of the structures to relocate but they did not heed to the warnings.
Some buildings, he said, had been earmarked for demolition around an area called Anlokordzi.
According to Mr Bakar, the exercise would continue every Friday until all unauthorised structures were demolished to protect lives and properties during the rainy season and also to allow smooth vehicular movement.