Display options Mobile website

Regional News of Sunday, 18 May 2014

Source: myjoyonline.com

Madina Fire Officer sacked for negligence

The Fire Officer in charge of Madina Fire Station, Mr. Evans Asiedu, has been relieved of his post over alleged negligence during a fire outbreak at Adenta in Accra.

Public Relations Officer of the Ghana National Fire Service, Mr. Billy Anaglatey, told Joy News Mr. Asiedu's sack follows the conclusion of an investigation into the incident.

A resident of Adenta Sakora, Lilian Bagidah, whose house was reduced to ashes in March this year, blamed officials at Madina for inaction after calling on them.

According to her, personnel at the Madina Fire Station, which is close to her Adenta residence, failed to attend to her when she called on them while her house was burning.

Lilian Bagidah claims officers at the Madina station told her the location of her house was not under their jurisdiction, and asked her to go to the Adenta Station for help.

Mr. Asiedu, who was the supervisor at the Madina Fire Station, had insisted after the incident that his men did nothing wrong as the area was under the jurisdiction of the Adenta station instead.

But Mr. Anaglatey said Mr. Asiedu's reason for failing to attend to the Adenta fire was wrong.

"We do not have a barrier for any fire fighting. We travel to Togo, we travel to Abidjan to fight fire," he reiterated

He, however, said Lilian Bagidah also erred by giving an inaccurate address to her house.

According to him, this led to the inability of the Adenta Fire Station -- who had dispatched a fire tender to attend to the incident earlier -- to locate the burning house.

Investigations into the action of the Madina Fire Station was at the behest of the Fire Service Council chairman, Alhaji Amadu Sorogho.

Comments:
This article has 15 comments, give your comment