Display options Mobile website

Regional News of Monday, 23 December 2013

Source: Graphic Online

Fire guts Light TV in Kumasi

A new television station in Kumasi – Light TV - located at the poolside of the Sports Hotel, near the Baba Yara Stadium, caught fire Sunday, turning a wedding ceremony taking place in the area into a ‘run-for-your-life’ affair.

In the midst of the pandemonium, the couple, as well as guests, had to take refuge at safe places, as a plume of smoke emerged from the top floor of the two-storey building housing the TV station, which is currently doing test transmission.

The TV station, which started test transmission about a month ago, is owned by Mr Kwame Kyei, Chief Executive Officer of Unity Group of Companies, which includes Unity Oil Ghana Limited.

Fire personnel had to work hard to bring the blaze under control to prevent what would have been a disastrous spectacle.

No one was hurt but the tinted window glasses on the building were broken.

Officials of the television station confirmed that no major destruction was recorded, as major installations were not affected by the fire.

When the Daily Graphic got the scene at about 3.30pm, some of the guests had re-joined the couple for the wedding ceremony and food was being served.

Out of fear, however, others refused to return to the ceremony.

According to an eyewitness, the couple had just finished exchanging rings when some thick black smoke was seen from the top of the building housing the TV station.

About 400 people at the ceremony took to their heels, as fire fighters were called in.

Fire officers would not immediately disclose the possible cause of the fire but a source at the station suspected electrical fault.

The Asokwa District Police Commander, Superintendent Rev Dr S.N. Adane-Ameyaw, who was at the scene with some uniformed men, said he was in church when he had a message from the Police Information Room that the Sports Hotel was on fire.

However, when he got to the scene he realised it was TV station that rather was on fire.

Fortunately no one was hurt.

For more news go to:  

Comments:
This article has 3 comments, give your comment