Regional News of Tuesday, 24 September 2013
Source: Daily Graphic
Fire razed down 13 shops and destroyed items worth hundreds of thousands of Ghana cedis at Agona Swedru in the Central Region last Sunday evening.
The fire was said to have started from a barbershop around 11 p.m. and spread to the other shops.
The other places affected by the fire included drinking spots, carpentry shops, hairdressing salons and fashion designing shops.
The owners of the shops could not salvage any of their items, as most of them were burnt to ashes.
Fire personnel from the Agona Swedru, Mankessim and Winneba Fire stations responded to the distress call, but before they could reach the scene of the fire, volunteers had managed to bring the fire under control.
In any case, due to the haphazard nature of the structures in the affected area, popularly known as ‘18’, the fire engines could not have gained access to the burning section because of lack of access.
The cause of the fire could not be established and investigations are ongoing.
A victim, Mr Dadzie Roshed, whose boutique got burnt, told the Daily Graphic that the fire started from one of the shops, noting that all of a sudden there was a blast and the fire spread to the other shops.
He said all his items, worth about GH¢8,000, had been destroyed by the fire and appealed to the government to go to his aid, since he took a loan to start his business.
Another victim, Joseph Acquah, 36, a carpenter, said all his tools and finished items for his customers, valued at about GH¢5,000, were destroyed by the fire.
When the Daily Graphic reached the scene around 10 a.m. yesterday, the Agona West Municipal Chief Executive, Mr Samuel Oppong, together with the acting Central Regional Co-ordinator of the National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO), Mr E. Sandy Amartey Snr; the Agona West Constituency Chairman of the NDC, Mr Emmanuel Kwesi Lincoln, and some NADMO officials, was there to console the victims.
Mr Amartey told the Daily Graphic in a chat that his outfit would do an assessment of the situation, after which it would forward a report to the head office in Accra.
He indicated that after that the necessary support would be given to the victims.
Mr Oppong advised shop owners to insure their businesses, so that in situations such as fire outbreaks they could receive support from insurance companies to re-start their businesses.