Regional News of Monday, 25 February 2013
Source: Daily Graphic
Security personnel have been deployed in the Nkonya and Alavanyo area to ward off reprisal attacks following the killing of two persons from Nkonya-Tayi last Monday.
Anthony Akoto, 52, was allegedly shot dead while Michael Sarpong, 48, was beheaded on their farms following hostilities between the people of the two towns. Their bodies have been deposited at the mortuary of the Margaret Marquart Hospital at Kpando.
Briefing the Daily Graphic, the deputy Volta Regional Minister, Mr Henry Ametefe, said a team of security officials had visited the area to talk to the people to cease fire.
He said a letter had been written to the National Peace Council on the need to establish itself in the region, especially in flashy points.
Mr Ametefe expressed regret that the coffers of district assemblies in conflict zones had been drained because funds were rather spent on the upkeep of peacekeepers, with little or none left for development.
He appealed to all meaningful citizens of both communities to open more avenues for dialogue to end any hostilities.
It will be recalled that security was beefed up in the Nkonya and Alavanyo areas following two separate shooting incidents in which one person died on Saturday, December 29, 2012.
Thereafter, the Paramount Chief of the Alavanyo Traditional Area, Togbega Tsedze Atakora, organised a press conference and called on the people of Nkonya to return to the mediation table—headed by a former Moderator of the Evangelical Presbyterian Church, Most Reverend Livingstone Buama—in order to find a lasting solution to the conflict in the area