Lt. Gen Akwasi Amankwa
Date of Birth
Mampong, Ashanti Re
24 April 1936 - 16 June 1979
Father: Opanin Kwaku Amankwa
Mother: Ama Serwaa Amaniampong Education & Career Pattern
Presbyterian Boys Boarding School, Mampong A/R
- 1952 - 1956 : Adisadel College, Cape Coast, Central Region
- 1957 - 1958 : Regular Officer's Special Training School
- 1958: Mons Officer Cadet School, Aldershot, England
- 1958 -1960: Military Academy, Sandhurst, England
- 1961: School of Infantry, Hythe, England
- 1961: Commander, Rifle Company
- 1962 - 1964: General Staff Officer
- 1964: Defence College, Teshie, Acera
- 1966(24 February): Stagged coup
- 1966: Commanding Officer, Second Battalion of Infantry
- 1967: Commandant, Military Academy Afrifa was one of the brains behind the 1966 coup that toppled Nkrumah. While as Commander of the First Infantry Brigade in Kumasi under Kotoka, the two planned and masterminded the coup. Afrifa is credited with overcoming stiff challenge at the Broadcasting House and holding it for Kotoka to announce the success of the coup.
- 1966 - 1967: Member of the eight-man ruling National Liberation Council (NLC), and Commissioner for Finance, Trade and Economic affairs.
- 1969: Chairman of NLC and Head of Government
- 1970: Chairman of Presidential Commission ( The Commission acted in place of a President until one was appointed)
- 1972(15 January) - 1972(December): Arrested and Detained by National Redemption Council regime under Gen. Acheampong
- 1978 : Led Popular Movement for Freedom and Justice to protest against UNIGOV and demand
- the return to constitutional rule.
- 1979(16 June): Picked up from farm at Mampong and executed by firing squad alongside other top military officials after the 4 June 1979 uprising.