Entertainment of Monday, 4 February 2013
Source: Verus Nartey
The first Ghana Music Week (GMW) will be held at the National Theater from March 4 to 10, 2013 under the theme: “Engaging MUSIC as a catalyst for Unity and National Growth”.
“Our key goal is to create the industry’s biggest platform to bring together and encourage participation of artistes, stakeholders, the media, decision/policy makers and music users; and to recognize, promote & underscore the importance and value of Ghanaian music forms”, says MUSIGA President, Bice Osei Kuffour.
Ghana Music Week will feature three main branches namely: training/Workshops/Seminars; Film/Theater & Comedy and Musical Concerts, and will parade over 500 - both emerging and established- musicians, bands & creative industry players.
Ghana Music Week is expected to attract visitors in excess of 20,000 over 7 days.
Highlight of events for the week include:
• Ghana Music Day on-the-air, in association with the Ghana Independent Broadcasters Association (GIBA) on Saturday, March 2, 2013
• Sales & Exhibition- display of general goods and services all week at both the exterior and foyer of the National Theater.
• Training and Seminars for musicians / creative arts people
• Symposiums, workshops, stakeholders’ dialogue
• National Music Essay & Poetry Contest- for student
• Food Court & Chill Zone- including bars, a resident Niteclub
• Highlife, Gospel Concerts and Comedy Shows
• Ghana Unity Concert (56Hitzdependence Concert) - Wednesday March 6, 2013
• Musiga All-Star and Awards Nite- Saturday March 9, 2013
‘Time with the Musician’ will see experienced musicians teach interested persons how to play various musical instruments.
The first wave of artists to perform during Ghana Music Week, including 5 big African musicians, will be announced in the coming weeks.