Boxing News of Wednesday, 20 August 2014
Popular boxer Ayitey Powers could be set for another huge payday after promoters of the Braimah Kamoko-John Napari WBA International Cruiserweight Championship fight revealed that the blonde-haired pugilist was being considered on the undercard of their October 3 bill named “No Retreat, No Surrender”.
The 34-year-old Powers, who recorded his 24th career loss to Kamoko, alias Bukom Banku, in their non-title cruiserweight clash last May, was reported to have pocketed a cool GH¢22,000 in that fight and could be on the verge of making another windfall.
Emefa Adeti, head of communications of McDon Promotions, told Graphic Sports that although the fights on the undercard had already been concluded and sanctioned by the Ghana Boxing Association (GBA), Powers was still being considered as a crowd-puller on the undercard provided they [fight promoters] could get him an opponent from the light heavyweight category.
“All the fights have been decided already but Powers’ management has made a late appeal, which is being considered.
“He will fight in the light-heavyweight category but provided we can get him a suitable opponent. However, we can’t disclose how much he stands to gain as prize-money if an agreement is eventually reached.”she said.
Mrs Adeti also revealed that Emmanuel “Game Boy” Tagoe (22 wins-1 loss-0 draw) will headline the other fights that will precede the showdown between Bukom Banku and Corporal John “Atintola the Beast” Napari at the Accra Sports Stadium.
Tagoe and Tanzanian, Obote Ameme, will contest for the WBA International lightweight title.
Isaac Selom will face-off with Ishmael Tetteh for the national super-welterweight title, Michael Pappoe will take on Michael Ansah for the national super featherweight title, while Prosper Ankrah and Michael Barnor will clash for the WBA Pan-Africa bantamweight title.
There is also the likelihood of a six-round bantamweight meeting between Isaac Sackey and Gally Cudjoe.