Boxing News of Thursday, 16 January 2014
Source: Graphic Online
Unconventional lifestyles, challenges with age, poor state of gyms together with the canker of lack of funds are currently the bane of the dwindling fortunes of boxing in the country.
There is also inactivity on the part of the majority of the current generation of boxers due to the lack of interest by promoters to provide them with fights.
Mr Jonathan Ansah Annan, a technical director of the Ghana Boxing Authority (GBA), has therefore called for the revival of the Morten Boxing League with support from government and corporate bodies, to keep the boxers busy and to unearth more champions for the country.
Mr Annan, who was interacting with the Graphic Sports, said the likes of Obodai Sai currently in the Commonwealth rankings and world title hopefuls such as Richard Duke Micah were boxers who could make the country proud when given the needed support.
In addition, Raymond Commey, Manyo Plange and Robert Quaye must be encouraged because they have the potential to get to the top.
He said former champions, Joseph Agbeko and Joshua Clottey, had a lot to prove, but had been struggling in recent times due to age coupled with unorthodox lifestyles.
There was the need therefore, according to Mr Annan, to groom more professional boxers to win titles for the country.
He was, however, not happy that boxers had not been rated for so many years even though some exercises ought to be carried out within six-month interval. He advised rated boxers for instance, those who refused to fight due to image problems, to begin to engage themselves to keep on shape.
The GBA technical director also lamented that although boxing as a discipline had brought many honours to the country aside football, the sport was still not receiving the deserved attention, adding that the lack of an office for the GBA was a clear example.