Sports News of Monday, 30 June 2014
The Chairman of the Kenpong Group of Companies, Mr Kennedy Agyapong, has accused the former Youth and Sports Minister, Mr Elvis Afriyie Ankrah, of personally arrogating to himself some of the organisational activities relating to the sponsorship of supporters to the Brazil World Cup.
This, he said, were the reasons for the poor organisation for the supporters in Brazil.
He said even though government had asked Kenpong Travel and Tours, for instance, to transport 270 passengers to Brazil and arrange their accommodation and internal travel in Brazil, that was taken away from the company at the eleventh hour.
Contributing to discussions on the fall out of Ghana’s participation at the World Cup on Peace FM Monday morning, Mr Agyapong said Kenpong was told at the last minute only to concentrate on just transporting the 270 passengers to Brazil.
Kenpong Travel and Tours was among the three travel and tour companies the government tasked to airlift soccer fans to the Brazil World Cup.
According to Kenpong, the original plan was for them to fly the 270 people to Brazil, accommodate them and organise internal travels for them as well, but that was changed at the last minute.
“... somewhere along the line getting to the time they left Ghana for Natal, a lot of the arrangements were cancelled, accommodation was cancelled and the ministry said they were going to accommodate them themselves,” Mr George Amoako Director of Finance at Kenpong said on Peace FM.
He said this was done 48 hours before the supporters left for Brazil.
Aside the 270 supporters government sponsored, Kenpong had 57 other people of their own who had personally paid for the trip hence their accommodation and internal travel within Brazil were organised, Mr Amoako said.
The usually cool Mr Kennedy Agyapong, who did not hide his outrage at the Minister when he phoned into the programme, accused the Minister of refusing to answer his (Kenpong) phone calls prior to the departure of the supporters to Brazil.
"For almost one and half months to two months, he (Elvis) refused to answer my phone calls and gave excuses of being busy. Kwadwo Adu-Asare, a member of the committee instituted by the ministry and other committee members all refused to answer our phone calls."
He said it was only when Adu-Asare, for instance, returned from Brazil that he apologised.
Mr Agyapong said it was only this morning (Monday) that the Minister sent him a text message from Brazil requesting for them to talk.
He said the ministry even bought tickets worth about $52,000 from Kenpong and as of now, not a penny had been paid.
He called for the Minister to be held personally liable for the Brazil fiasco.