Sports News of Thursday, 8 November 2001
Source: Daily Graphic
The Minister for Information and Presidential Affairs, Jake Obetsebi Lamptey, has expressed the government's interest in the ongoing furore over the $25,000 gift received by the Ghanaian contingent from the Governor of Nigeria's Rivers State after the Black Stars 3-0 defeat by the Super Eagles in a World Cup qualifying match in Port Harcourt.
"As a responsible government, we have to be interested in the allegation," Mr Obetsebi-Lamptey said on Wednesday in a Joy FM programme on the government's zero tolerance for corruption.
He said he had talked about the alleged bribery issue with the Vice-President, who also said he had talked to other ministers about it and would continue to examine it for necessary action.
The Chairman of the Ghana Football Association, Ben Koufie, had earlier denied that the money received from the Governor of River States Nigeria, was a bribe because it was given in the open and he received it on behalf of the players and officials in the presence of the acting Ghana High Commissioner to Nigeria, and the Deputy Minister for Youth and Sports, Joe Aggrey.
He said the amount was shared among the 31-member contingent of players and officials. Each official was given $800, except the Deputy Minister who did not take his, which was then shared among the eight journalists who accompanied the team.