Sports News of Friday, 21 April 2017
The newly-appointed coach of Accra Great Olympics, Tom Marcus Strand, says he will join forces with assistant coach-cum-player, Godwin Attram, to fix the broken pieces at his new club and finish at an appreciable position on the league log at the end of the season.
In a conversation with the Graphic Sports yesterday, the Swedish trainer noted that Attram had in-depth knowledge about the team, having guided them for a long time and that his input would be needed to turn the fortunes of the club around.
“As a coach I understand how he feels because sometimes we become frustrated when things are not going well but I’m sure that now that the issue is resolved we will have a great working relationship to make the club better. We were at training together yesterday and today and I can say that so far so good”, he revealed.
The former Medeama SC coach, who supervised his first game as Olympics manager against Liberty Professionals last Sunday, said he was impressed with the team’s performance but admitted there was still room for improvement.
“We have a lot of work to do as far as the team is concerned. I’m not promising anything but I will try to do my best because I believe in myself and I believe that we have the quality to get the job done”, he said.
The Wonder Club, despite the confusion between Attram and management, following the appointment of Tom Strand, earned a point against Liberty Professionals at the Dansoman Carl Reindorf Park.
Strand’s appointment was met with a stiff resistance from Coach Attram and a section of the supporters who criticised the management of imposing the Swedish on the team.
In another development, Coach Strand has debunked rumours that he is being sought after by the South African Police over the bizarre circumstances surrounding his departure from that country last year.
According to media reports, the Swedish coach went missing in South Africa after his side then, Medeama, lost 1-3 to Mamelodi Sundowns in a 2016 CAF Confederation Cup play-off in Pretoria.
However, the 36-year-old trainer responded by saying, “I have no idea about that. Nobody has contacted me on phone or written a letter concerning a case with Interpol. They are rumours”, he stated.