General News of Sunday, 27 July 2014
Three people are reported dead at the La General Hospital in Accra following a cholera outbreak in the La, Teshie and Nungua communities about two weeks ago.
According to the hospital, a total of 111 cases have so far have been reported.
Speaking in an interview with Citi News, the Senior Health Service Administrator at the hospital, Philip Afeti Korto, said the cholera unit of the hospital is currently stretched to its limit.
“Because of the numbers, now our OPD [Out Patient Department] has been closed to the public to attend to mainly Cholera cases,” he explained.
Mr. Korto indicated that non-cholera cases have been designated to different consulting rooms, adding that “the OPD was closed due to the contamination from cholera patients.”
The hospital, he said, will undergo fumigation after the season of cholera is over “to make it safe for others to use so that people will not come and have infections.”
Mr Korto also mentioned that the hospital is getting all the support it needs to contain the situation.
He appealed to the general public to practice good personal and environmental hygiene to prevent them from contracting the disease which is rapidly spreading in Accra.