General News of Tuesday, 14 January 2014
Source: Abdul Karim Naatogmah/citifmonline.com
A police investigator handling the Woyome case, Mr. Odame Okyere on Tuesday in an Accra Fast Track High Court insisted that some five institutions failed to conduct due diligence before sanctioning the payment of Ghc51.2 million to businessman Alfred Agbesi Woyome in 2010.
He cited the Attorney-General’s office, the Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning (MOFEP), the Bank of Ghana (BoG), the Local Organizing Committee (LOC) of CAN 2008 and Building Industry Consultants (BIC) and then Ministry of Education Youth and Sports.
Continuing with his cross-examination, lead counsel for Businessman, Alfred Agbesi Woyome, Lawyer Sarfo Buabeng put it to the witness that he misled the court during the last sitting.
Lawyer Buabeng presented documents to prove that then Minister for Education, Youth and Sports, Mr. Yaw Osarfo Marfo, the Attorney-General’s office, the Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning (MOFEP), the Bank of Ghana (BoG), the Local Organizing Committee (LOC) of CAN 2008 and Building Industry Consultants (BIC) recommended payment of the said monies to his client (Mr. Woyome).
He maintained that the cited bodies acted properly but Mr. Okyere responded in opposition.
He said, “The entities did not do due diligence on documents submitted by Woyome because when the investigation team sent Woyome’s documents to Bank Austria, they found that no money had been committed to support any project in Ghana.”
Appearing in court as the ninth and last prosecution witness, Mr. Okyere read some documents to support his inference.
But Lawyer Sarfo vehemently challenged the witness to be consistent in his submissions.
The case has been adjourned to January 22.
Mr. Woyome’s sympathizers majority of whom were women from Nima stormed the courtroom in solidarity.