General News of Monday, 4 March 2013
Source: Daily Graphic
The budget statement and the economic policy of the government for this year will be presented to parliament tomorrow by the Minister of Finance and Economic Planning, Mr. Seth Terkper.
The Deputy Majority Leader, Mr Alfred Kwame Agbeshi, announced this when he presented the business of the House for next week last Friday.
He called on members of the House to avail themselves on the said date. This year's budget is being presented in March instead of the usual November in the preceding year because of the December 2012 general elections.
At the end of last year, Parliament approved the government's expenditure for the first quarter of 2013 in anticipation that the new government will present its budget to the House for approval.
Meanwhile, parliament concluded debate on the president's state of the nation address presented to the house last week.
At Friday's sitting, MPs for Odododiodoo, Nii Lante Vanderpuye, Mr Benjamin Koomla Kpodo, Ho Central and the Minister of Information and Media Relations, Mr Mahama Ayariga took turns to contribute to the debate.
They all urged their Minority colleagues to listen to wise counsel from people such as Mr Kwame Pianim and rescind their decision not to take part in debates because of the suit the leaders of the NPP had filed at the Supreme Court challenging the declaration of President Mahama as the winner of the 2012 presidential election.
At the end of the debate, the Speaker, Mr Edward Doe Adjaho invited the Deputy Minority Leader, Mr Dominic Nitiwul to make his submission but he declined and informed the House that the minority stood by its decision not to take part in the debate.
Winding up the debate, the Majority Leader, Dr Benjamin Kunbuor, said it was unfortunate that the Minority had denied their constituents the opportunity to comment on the address of the President and called on them to rescind such a decision in the supreme interest of the country.