General News of Saturday, 27 October 2012
Source: Joy Online
Editor-in-Chief for the New Crusading Guide Newspaper, Abdul Malik Kweku Baako is worried that playing politics with sensitive recordings, could disable the security agencies from taking any further action on issues raised on the tapes.
The NDC National Organizer on a 30 minute secret tape is said to have promised party loyalists with national security ID cards to enable them move freely during the December general election. Even though Yaw Gyan has admitted the voice on the tape is his, he insists that some part of the secret recording is doctored.
Subsequently, National Security Coordinator Gbevlo Lartey exonerated the NDC Organiser after he (Gbevlo Lartey) told Joy News the controversial Yaw Boateng Gyan tape has “nothing of value worth investigating.”
Earlier this week, another high profile political figure in the opposition New Patriotic Party, Anthony Karbo is also alleged to have been caught on tape plotting to hire mercenaries to destabilize the 2012 elections.
The recording was provided to the media by the Research and Advocacy Platform (RAP) of the NDC, at a news conference in Accra. The former National Youth Organiser NPP has denied being the voice on the said secret tape.
However, speaking Saturday on Joy News weekly current affairs program News File which was also broadcast on Joy Fm, Kweku Baako noted the political and propaganda capital being applied to those “explosive tapes, can disable state institutions from dealing with it in an operational manner”.
The veteran journalist said the security agencies inevitably become "trapped" in handling such cases after the materials have been publicised, however serious they may be.
He noted that the appropriate thing to do was for those in possession of such materials to lodge a complaint with the police and leave them to handle it from there instead of putting it out in the public.
He feared secret tapes will soon lose their value if they are continuously handled unprofessionally.
Felix Kwaakye Ofosu, leading member of RAP maintained the voice is that Anthony Karbo and claimed the NPP had started implementing some of the things Mr. Karbo is alleged to have said on the tape, by launching attacks on the EC, the IGP and other state institutions regarding the elections.
In a rebuttal, Mike Ocquaye Jnr, Deputy Greater Accra Secretary of NPP said there was no way the party’s flagbearer would give consent to what Karbo is purported to have planned to do on the said tape.
Mr. Ocquaye who spoke with a jumble of English and Ga dialect retort; “You think Ghanaians are ‘gbekebii’ (children) to believe Karbo’s tape? He never speaks in that mellow-tone”.